This theme has been retired and is no longer being actively developed. Don’t worry, it should still work for some time and will continue to receive critical updates for up to one year from your original purchase date. Learn More Here
Introduction to CleanSale
Your theme is a collection of templates and styles that enable you to build a powerful and beautiful eCommerce or Service-driven online business. Our theme demo shows you what can be done with the theme, but should not be taken literally – how you configure and build your website is up to you and the outcome will depend on the content you create.
In a nutshell, setup follows a flow of Add Content→ Place Content→Refine Content.
This guide will help you through the following:
Optimal WordPress Settings
- Theme Installation
- How to use the theme’s various post options to create your content
- How featured images and videos work in this theme
- Homepage configuration and customization
- Setting a custom logo and configuring the theme
- Using widgets
- Setting up menus
- Customization options
Below, we provide an overview of how the theme interacts with WordPress. If you are new to WordPress, these overviews will prepare you for managing your site and creating optimal content. If you are a veteran user or know your way around Obox Themes, you may skip straight to Quick Setup for the recommended setup order
How the theme handles images
Each WordPress theme defines a set of minimum image sizes that are used throughout the theme templates. This helps each page load as efficiently as possible by grabbing the smallest image possible, while also ensuring the image fits the template layout for the intended look. You can see from our demo that these images will scale or crop to fill whatever space they are presented in.
Minimum Size for posts
Images you upload to use as Featured Images in your theme should be a minimum of 630 px wide.
For best results, prepare your featured images to be 1000 px wide to ensure a good balance between file size and quality. Do not exceed 2MB in file size (typically more than 2000px wide or tall) or your upload may fail (this is the upload limit in most WordPress installs)
Scaling vs Cropping
Some widgets may crop your images to a specific height to ensure a uniform look. In these cases, your 630px wide image will be cropped to0 380px high to maintain standard 16:9 video aspect ratios
If you have pre-existing content in WordPress, you will need to download and run the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin.
Post Types, Page Templates & content Structure
Your Theme uses standard posts and pages plus a unique Slider post type which can be used to setup promotions or slides separate from your posts or products.
- Posts: Create standard posts for your blog, news, etc, divided by categories
- Pages: static posts that do not have categories.
- Products: WooCommerce post type for managing your shop content
- Slider: Special post type for CleanSale that allows you to create visual posts just for the slider – use for promotions, etc.
Each of these content items have a page where you can display the posts in a special format, and a sub page which displays the individual posts. For example, the shop will list all the products you’ve created , and when you click on a specific product it will display the product details and Buy Now button.
WooCommerce adds several shop pages for you automatically. Adding products are explained in the next section. If you have not installed WooCommerce yet, please do so before continuing.
Before your site will look like our demo at all, you must add some content, and one of each of these page templates. Once you’ve populated the post types with text and a featured image or video, you can then add them to your homepage via the→ section in your WordPress administration area, which is explained in detail later.
Detailed instructions on adding each content type are covered on the following articles, or you may use our Demo Content file below.
Setup time for this theme is estimated to take between 30 minutes and 4 hours, depending on the level of customization you intend to give it. For veteran WordPress users, setup should take less than 30 minutes.
This guide provides detailed instructions for setup and configuration of WordPress and the theme. You may also access quick tips and links to documentation from within WordPress under Help tab in the upper-right of most screens in your WordPress Dashboard.→ , or view basic WordPress help from the
To get started:
- Go to
→ and choose Your Latest Posts to enable the theme’s dynamic homepage layouts.
- Ensure → is set to Post Name and Saved
- Follow the core setup steps in this order for best results:
If you already installed the theme and are a Themeforest customer, make sure you update the theme before continuing!
- Load /Create Your Content – Use our demo file below, or refer to the post type articles in this guide
- CleanSale: Configure Theme Options
- CleanSale: Configure Your Widgets
- CleanSale: Add Your Menus
Demo ContentIf you prefer to pre-load our demo content into your theme to get a head start, you may use our demo content file below.
- Right-click the below link and choose Save File As or your browser equivalent
- Unzip the downloaded file to find the cleansale_demo-content.xml file
- Go to → and click WordPress
- If prompted to install the plugin, follow the steps to install and activate.
- Browse to the cleansale_demo-content.xml file and click Upload and Import.
- You will be prompted to import authors and users from our demo site. Select your name from each drop-down to assign posts to yourself so these users are not creted on your setup.
- Click the "Download and import file attachments" box to attempt to import our demo images.
Homepage: Your theme uses a dynamic homepage layout (either blog style or widget-driven) explained in more detail in the Setup Your Homepage article. The widget-driven homepage is the equivalent of a drag and drop layout while the Blog is a standard post list with a sidebar.
Colors: For customization of the theme’s overall color scheme, you may use the WordPress Customizer, which includes several options for changing individual colors
Fonts: You may customize most font elements such as menu links, titles and body fonts using the Typography Manager.
For help with common issues you may encounter, check out our Knowledgebase first. If you can’t find the answer there, head over to our Support Forums and post your question in your theme forum. You should receive a response within 24 hours on weekdays.
For help with modifying templates or changing functionality in your theme, feel free to post the question on our forums, but be advised you may be referred to one of our Approved Modifiers if your request requires testing/development to figure out or is beyond your skill level to implement.