Waves 2.0 is a revamped upgrade to the original Waves theme that removes dependency on WooTumblog, while adding several enhancements and support for WordPress 3.5+. As such, Waves 2.0 is only available as a complete reinstall. Please review the following guide carefully to understand the changes and actions you must take if you choose to upgrade.
We will continue to support customers using the original Waves with WooTumblog as long as we can, however please note that Woo does not support or update WooTumblog any longer and if we find any issues with your site to be related to the plugin or the outdated theme, you will be directed to this guide to update.
How to Update
- Download the Waves 2.0 theme file from your purchase profile.
- Rename your existing waves folder to waves115
- Unzip the full theme 2.0 package (waves_single.zip) to find the new waves folder
- Upload the new waves folder to wp-content/themes
View detailed instructions here
After Updating : What You Need to Do
This update changes how your images are handled, adds theme options and uses post formats instead of Wootumblog. You will need to verify your theme settings and widgets.
- Go to →
- Search for “regenerate thumbnails” and Install/Activate the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin
- Go to
→ and click Regenerate Thumbnails. This process may take several minute.
- Do not navigate away from the page until it is complete. You may continue with these instructions in a new browser tab.
- Go to and verify your Post Meta options
- Go to your → page and reconfigure your widgets, in particular the Twitter and Social Links widgets.
For details on setup of new widget options, view the Waves documentation.
Migrate Your Data
All content should continue to display in your older posts with minor layout differences, and no editing should be required. However, if you wish to migrate all of your data away from WooTumblog, please view the new Theme Documentation for how to create posts using the various post formats and where to find your old data.
If you had created a portfolio with a version of Waves prior to the WordPress Featured Image being set in 1.1.4 and later, you will need to set featured images for your portfolio posts. See this article for details.
- New Welcome page has quick start tips, link to demo content and theme documentation
- Widget Coloring for easier setup
- Popular posts widget updated to support categories
- Twitter widget supports retweets and replies
- Social widget has more networks and updated icons
- Theme Options added for hiding meta and social sharing
- Custom CSS added to Theme Options for storing customizations in database – please move any styles in custom.css into this field.
- Image handling now uses WP Thumbnail functions. You may continue to upload images using “Set Featured Image”
- Removed dependency on WooTumblog plugin – now supports WordPress post formats
- jPlayer for HTML5 audio
- Updated twitter widget script
- Added title fallback and opengraph support
- If light style is selected, it now properly loads original grey-blue style
- Featured image no longer appears twice on portfolio slider if uploaded using main image field
- Improved support for localization
- Updated depreciated functions
- Improved support for oEmbed