Obox Mobile is designed for devices that do not have inherent abilities to gracefully display full sites (such as older mobiles). As such, not all devices or their browsers will detect as mobile. This most commonly occurs on newer iPads, Pre-Android Samsung Galaxy tabs, Kindle Fire HDs and other HD tablets, all of which actually run a desktop resolution.
Note that newer tablets (Galaxy S, iPad Air2) running iOS with Safari or Android+Chrome should render mobile without extra user strings.
We recommend turning the device to view your native website properly. If you have a specific need to target these devices with Obox Mobile, you will need to modify the plugin to add your own user-agent strings.
This is considered a modification, and is provided as-is. We expect you understand what you are doing if applying coding changes using these or other WordPress tutorials. Make a backup of your existing file so you can replace it if something goes wrong and you need to start over. Modified files WILL probably be replaced by a theme update at some point, so keep note of your changes for future reference or see our guides below. We cannot assist you with modifying your theme or support problems you encounter as a result!
If you are modifying a theme as part of a client project, the following are really important!How to Modify Your Theme the Right Way
How to Track Update Changes and Maintain Modifications
- Have an unmodified backup of the plugin available in case something goes wrong, or backup your existing files!
- Open the functions/class.php in an HTML or plain text editor. (We do not recommend editing the plugin directly in WordPress, as one typo can cause you to lose access to your admin until the plugin is reinstalled or deleted from your server)
- Beginning on line 64, we define the default set of devices:
// Devices we allow $touch_devices = array( 'iphone', 'ipod', 'aspen', 'incognito', 'webmate', 'android', 'dream', 'cupcake', 'froyo', 'blackberry', 'webos', 'samsung', 'bada', 'IEMobile', 'htc', );
- To add a device type, place your cursor after ‘htc’, and hit enter to create a blank line
- Type your device type in single quotes. For multiple, add a comma after.
- Note that not all devices have a specific device type name. You may need to check with the device manufacturer or their documentation to determine the specific device type.
- Save the file and upload to your server under wp-content/plugins/obox-mobile-2/functions/class/ and overwrite the existing
// Devices we allow $touch_devices = array( 'iphone', 'ipod', 'aspen', 'incognito', 'webmate', 'android', 'dream', 'cupcake', 'froyo', 'blackberry', 'webos', 'samsung', 'bada', 'IEMobile', 'htc', 'ipad', );